Journalism for Future Challenges 2016 Program
The OCCRP is partnering up with the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (SSE Riga) Center for Media Studies to present the Journalism for Future Challenges program again this year.
We are looking for early career journalists from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, or Ukraine who are looking to expand their investigative reporting skills, with a focus on organized crime and corruption, as well as to expand their professional network.
This intensive training program is taught by reporters, editors and other experts with long and broad international experience. They all use the most sophisticated tools and methods for improved investigative journalism.
Journalism for Future Challenges 2016 will take place in Riga, Latvia, in three separate modules: June 27 – July 2, August 15 – 19, and November 28 – December 2, 2016.
The sessions will cover topics such as basic investigative reporting, planning and managing an investigative project, an overview of how organized crime and corruption works, personal security, advanced research on the internet, encrypting, source protection, ethics, news verification and visual journalism.
Up to 25 participants will be selected and all will be fully funded (more details below). Participants must attend all three modules.
In order to be considered, you must:
- be a resident or citizen of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova or Ukraine
- be an early career journalist looking to gain more experience in investigative journalism (prior work in investigative journalism is not necessary, but some general journalism experience is required)
- be between 20 and 35 years of age
- have a strong interest in investigative journalism
- be fluent in spoken and written English
- be in possession of your own computer, since information security is an important part of the course
The application deadline is May 13, 2016.
Please go to the Centre for Media Studies website at http://www.mediatraining.lv/ for more information and to submit your application.