Russian Language Daily Editor
Location: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Term: Full time, subject to 6 months’ probation period
- Manage a steady flow of accurate, interesting daily stories for occrp.org
- Edit stories as they come in
- Set editorial tone and standards
- Train interns and new staff in newsgathering and editing
- Manage Russian language website and social media
- Liaising with partner centers
- Commission and edit features
- Manage investigative projects initiated by reporters under direct supervision
- Ability to handle the monthly budget
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree required
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, ideally in media development, anti-corruption, transparency, open data, or international development.
- At least 3 years of reporting experience
- High proficiency in writing and editing
- Familiarity with organized crime and corruption issues
- Native Russian language speaker
- Very good command of the English language (oral and written skills)
- Solid news judgment
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a high-energy, deadline-oriented environment.
- Fluency in using Microsoft Office applications and basic digital tools
To apply, please email a letter of interest and your resume to jobs(at)occrp.org by 31 May 2017. We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.
OCCRP works with teams of regional journalists on cross-border investigative stories both in broadcast and print formats. It does not hire full-time journalists. Reporters must have citizenship from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Albania, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Croatia, Slovenia, Poland, Turkey, the Baltics, a Caucasus country, or a former CIS Central Asian country. Those interested in working on an OCCRP story send a CV and links to your published stories to jobs(at)occrp.org.
Technology Interns (2016-2017)
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project is looking for an intern with experience in software development or systems administration for a three month period with a possibility of a three month extension. Experience gained in the classroom and through personal application will be accepted. Over the period, you will work with OCCRP's technical team in Sarajevo, as well as OCCRP's staff elsewhere in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. You will experience the challenges of working in a difficult social and political environment, where we work to expose organized crime syndicates and corrupt politicians. You will work with our team to manage and build complicated software systems, fend off attacks on our networks, and assist journalists with data analysis.
Applicants should have excellent analytical skills, and should have at least some familiarity with Linux, Python, major databases (both SQL and NoSQL), and some understanding of modern cryptography and security tools, but enthusiasm and ability and willingness to learn are more important than current technical skills. We are looking for students majoring in Computer Science, Mathematics, Network Engineering, or Engineering ideally, but other fields are not excluded. An understanding of Russian, Romanian, or Balkan languages is a plus.
Interns will be required to reside in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, for the duration of the internship. A basic stipend to cover housing and food costs will be provided during the period.
Those interested should send an email with a letter of interest to rysiek (at) occrp.org.