OCCRP is looking for a chief operating officer (COO) who reflects the same innovation and dynamism as the organization itself to help us reach our next level. OCCRP is already one of the world’s largest investigative reporting organizations with a staff of 90 and operations across the globe. OCCRP is an often-copied innovator with a reputation for high quality work in exceedingly difficult areas of the world. We are a fast growing organization (40 percent per year) who needs a COO who can develop and execute a plan to turn OCCRP into a sustainable global media entity.
The COO should run OCCRP’s financial, administrative and logistical operations on a day-to-day basis. The position will report to the organization’s co-founders and co-directors. OCCRP envisages that this person will represent the organization publicly along with the founders and be responsible for overseeing department heads in administration, finance, human resources, programs, fundraising, and planning. The COO will work closely with the Publisher, Director of Innovation, Director of Partnerships, Chief Technology Officer and Editor-in-Chief to deliver on the mission and to reflect the core values of OCCRP.
We are looking for someone who will ably handle the multi-faceted nature of this demanding job. OCCRP envisages a hands on manager who can both guide and develop junior managers while charting a course for the organization’s operations.
- Strong executive management experience with a track record of successfully managing other non-profit organizations
- Proven experience in growing and improving an organization
- A comfortable and confident management style of successfully delegating tasks while working effectively with all levels of an organization
- The ability to listen effectively to colleagues while effectively communicating at the same time
- An entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to identify and act on key opportunities
- Accounting skills with strong financial management experience
- Knowledge of charity and company law, financial management, fundraising, membership systems and other fundamental areas
- A strong personal presence with the ability to explain and promote the mission of the organization.
- The ability to solve difficult problems in a relaxed and controlled manner
- Ability to work effectively with internal staff and stakeholders at all levels from board members, directors and managers to advocacy, communications, finance, administrative and support staff, as well as with external advisers, regulators, donors, suppliers, network members and customers/end-users
- Excellent analytical skills; willingness to take responsibility for spotting and resolving problems in own work area and for suggesting and implementing improvements to working practices
- Good planning and organizational abilities to ensure work is completed to timetable/deadlines
- Good team working skills, including flexibility, adaptability and willingness to help and inspire our all-star staff
- Be supportive of OCCCP’s ethos and values.
- The position is initially planned for being located in Sarajevo but the organization is considering a headquarter move which will be one of the tasks of the COO.
- Compensation is between $80,000 to $120,000
- High quality healthcare, dental and vision care
- 5-6 weeks vacation and holiday
To apply, please email a letter of interest and your resume to jobs[at]occrp.org by 01 March 2019. All applications must be submitted in English.
We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.